Friday, October 30, 2009

I'm so confused....and sad

Hang tight with my while I get back on my soap box.

I think I got lucky when I was born into the family that I have. My parents were always very accepting of others and taught us to do the same - no matter if we agreed with the choices or not. To them, God's most important teaching was that of love and acceptance. It wasn't until later in life did I realize that others weren't taught the same way. Call me silly, but I truly believed that everyone thought this way. Why wouldn't they? Why isn't forgiveness, caring, understanding, not judging and love at the top of everyones minds? Granted, I'll be the first to admit that some of these do present a struggle to me from time to time, but I know they are important.

Today, I learned that there are people that believe that our President is trying to silence Christians by signing a Hate Crimes Prevention Bill. I'm so confused. While I understand there are many that don't agree with gay people, and that's fine....it's the beauty of America....we can have our own opinions and beliefs. But is it Christian to beat up gay people? I'm so confused. Seriously, this one has me stumped. How is that silencing Christians? How is protecting people from horrible hate crimes unchristian? If someone can explain this to me, I'm all for listening....doesn't mean I'll agree. I'm just so tired of being saddened by the hateful things people say about others. Can't we all get along and love each other? That's what God wants, isn't it?

2 comments:

Amanda Barefoot said...

i agree. it's upsetting for me to see how some christians behave. i just try to remember that my faith isn't based on humans. Thank God. I would always be let down.

Mostly Clueless said...

That's probably the best advice I could hear. Thanks for passing that along